Friday 2 September 2011

Task 2

Dr pepper - cherry
I chose this advert because its completely different to the other, and although choosing an advert similar would probably be easier I wanted to explore a different genre and advert for an older target audience to broaden my idea for my own product.
This advert features singer celebrity fergie, from the black eyed peas. By choosing a well known artist you immediately have your target audience, men who find her attractive and woman who like her music.  The advert is very simple and seductive and uses fergie to sell the product in a provocative way.
In the advert fergie walks onto the set in a long revealing robe picks up the Dr pepper can and pours it into her mouth (unexpectedly) there is no speech until the very end of the advert, the opposite to the Vimto advert where their limited speech is at the beginning. They also don’t reveal the product until half way through, making you watch more carefully to see what it’s for. This is a good technique to think about using when creating my own advert because I think its affective, the first time I watched the advert I was anticipating to see what it was for, which made me keep watching it.
I would say this advert was targeted at males and females aged 18-30, a much broader audience than the Vimto advert. Fergie is wearing quite a revealing outfit, in black maybe suggesting she’s older, more mature and sexy. The colours are kept to a minimum much like the design of the set, silver, black and red. This helps emphasise the sex appeal in the video, with the red lipstick and dark make up.
The adverts pace is quite slow throughout, there is only 15 cuts throughout the whole advert which is considerably less than in the Vimto advert which is a lot more energetic.  They use some extreme close ups in the advert when showing the can, emphasising the brand and product, this is effective and adds detail without using slow motion.
The music begins slow and speeds up interestingly at the slowest part of the action in the advert. The music is a mix of pop and rap. It’s fitting with the advert, although its quite contrasting with the imagery of a classy lady and rap music, but that’s the idea of the advert, coca cola – with a twist!
I enjoy the advert I think it works well, I like the close ups and from watching this advert feel they’re defiantly a must in an advert when advertising your brand or something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment